Thursday 27 October 2011

Cutting Class

No, I'm not talking about truancy!

The kids and I were taking some cuttings of our favorite plants for transplantation today.  Our seed shelves are covered with cuttings.  We started with a clipping from a fig tree from Manjack Cay, which I transported all the way back on both the ferry and the plane!

The stewardess was very concerned.  "You're not planning to take that to the States are you?"
"No, ma'am.  We live in Nassau, we're Bahamian.  No attempted smuggling happening here!"

We took cuttings of our basil and frangipani - very easy, mulberry - a bit more challenging and rosemary, which roots along its trailing stems - Madison loved seeing that one.

"It's just like how ferns grow," she informed me.  I had no idea how ferns grew or that she knew!  I love homeschooling.

We planted some more seeds in our raised beds too.  Carrots, onions, corn and peas.  We only have a tiny gap left out of all of that square footage we built!  I am reserving that for the radishes.

I don't think the chickens noticed our absence - or if they did, they are withholding the egg out of spite now :)

But one of our dogs certainly did!  Knight is still not talking to me!  He just looks away when I call him. I have a lot of making up to do.

The compost pile is not going as planned .  Apparently that particular smell means anaerobic decomposition may be taking place.  I need to aerate and water my compost pile!

And I thought I only needed to water the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment